Mr. Tommy Mealy '96
Bishop McDevitt High School’s strong tradition of academic excellence is equally balanced by its storied tradition rich athletic programs. Athletics at McDevitt are more than just sports, they are a way for our student body to carry the Crusader spirit to the world. A well-rounded education exercises mind, body and spirit, and the athletic programs at McDevitt help our students train all three. Our Catholic-Christian culture permeates our practices and competitions, helping students learn to share their faith.
The goal of Crusader athletics is to learn qualities such as toughness, integrity, perseverance and how to function in a group and rely on other people and to learn social skills that develop the student-athlete into young men and women. Athletics also give a student-athlete an incentive to perform in the classroom. Overall, athletics bonds friendships together forever and forms lifelong relationships.
We currently participate in Coed Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Coed Tennis, Coed Soccer, Cheerleading, Basketball, Track & Field, Coed Swimming, Wrestling, Baseball, Softball, Boys Lacrosse, Girls Lacrosse, Coed Bowling, Girls Volleyball and Ice Hockey. Our home at 1 Crusader Way, boasts world-class facilities, including Rocco Ortenzio Stadium & St. Sebastian Hall.
The Bishop McDevitt High School Athletic Department first priority is to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all student athletes, coaches and families. Listed in this document are the procedures for all athletic teams at Bishop McDevitt High School. These procedures and guidelines must be followed until further notice through the 2020-2021 athletic season.
The requirements below are for OUTDOOR events only.
This document is subject to change based on continued guidance from the Department of Health.
Baseball & Softball:
- All athletes, coaches, umpires, event staff and spectators are required to wear a face mask at all times while on campus at Bishop McDevitt.
- All athletes, coaches and game personnel in the dugout or on team bench must wear a face mask at all times.
- Face mask exceptions:
- When a team is on the field, outfielders do not need to wear a face covering.
- When a team is on the field, infielders do not need to wear a face covering, unless there is a baserunner near their position, then a mask is required.
- A pitcher does not need to wear a face covering while pitching.
- Any player without a face covering while playing on the field must put a face covering on prior to entering the dugout or gathering on the field with teammates.
- While on the bases, athletes must wear a face covering.
- Both umpires must wear a face covering at all times.
All HOME and AWAY player parents/immediate family members are allowed to attend our baseball/softball events. Spectators may also include families of the coaching staff, Bishop McDevitt faculty, school board and special dignitaries.
- All spectators must wear a mask and are asked to respectfully sit in family pods together and bring your own chairs.
- If choosing to sit in our provided bleachers, people must be socially distanced as best as you can in with the bleacher space provided.
- There will be no concession stand available and no admission charge.
If you have any questions please contact the athletic department. Thank you very much for your respect, patience and understanding.