The music department at Bishop McDevitt is becoming known in the community as an organization of excellence and achievement. Bishop McDevitt is proud to offer 6 performing ensembles to its high school students: two choral and four instrumental. Many of these ensembles are offered for academic credit and help create a student who is well-rounded and a lifelong music appreciator. Students can opt to take classes in music theory, piano, or guitar to help supplement their knowledge and skills. We also take care of our future Crusaders at the Catholic feeder schools, by offering instrumental instruction through small group lessons and concert and jazz band experiences.
McDevitt Music at a Glance
- Over 150 students are involved in at least one performing ensemble (choral or instrumental)
- Many of these students are involved in multiple performing ensembles and take the supplemental classes
- The Bishop McDevitt Ensembles perform regularly in the community. Here are some recent performances:
- The Crusader Marching Band performs throughout the fall at various competitions in the Tournament of Bands circuit.
- The Crusader Marching Band also performs in the Harrisburg Holiday Parade, the Harrisburg Saint Patrick’s Day Parade,
- the Linglestown Memorial Day Parade, and the Paxtang Independence Day Parade.
- The Concert Bands performed at the Milton Hershey School Music Performance Festival.
- The Jazz Band and Wind Ensemble performed at the capitol for Music In Our Schools Month.
- The Bishop McDevitt Chorale performs annually in local Parishes and sings for many community organizations such as the Rotary Club, and the St. Thomas More Society.
- The Bishop McDevitt Chorale will be performing for the prestigious Heinz Chapel Choral Festival